Sociology – A level
This fascinating and enjoyable course leads to a greater awareness of the relationship between society and the individual. The focus in lessons will be on reaching understanding through discussion of the issues from the four units of study: family & households, education & research methods, the mass media and crime & deviance. All four units are assessed by examinations.
Sociology students answer questions such as:
- Why is divorce increasing whilst marriage is becoming less popular?
- Why do girls have more success than boys in the education system?
- What skills are required to carry out sociological research?
- Does violence in the media produce violent behaviour in society at large?
- Who commits crime and why?
- What is deviance?
We make sociology relevant to your own experiences and incorporate relevant topics and issues into our teaching. The skills which you develop in Sociology are useful for many careers, for example, the police service, journalism, the health care sector, teaching and the prison service to name but a few.