Health and Social Care – Level 2
What is the certificate in preparing to work in adult social care?
This qualification is designed for people interested in, or new to working in adult social care. It covers a range of key areas of knowledge applicable to working in the sector. You will develop knowledge of all aspects of adult social care to include the principles of communication, equality, diversity, inclusion, safeguarding and protection in social care settings. You will investigate current legislation and procedures and understand the role and duty of care of the social care worker.
Why should I study this qualification?
If you have started or would like to pursue a career in adult social care this qualification will provide you with the relevant knowledge and skills. It is suitable for the role of a Care Assistant, Support Worker, Key Worker or Health Care Assistant in adult residential care settings, domiciliary services or health environments.
Course structure and content
With guidance and encouragement from your tutor you will take part in a range of written and practical activities in the classroom. This course is for 24-weeks and the course content is as follows:
- Principles of communication in adult social care settings
- Principles of personal development in adult social care settings
- Principles of diversity, equality and inclusion in adult social care settings
- Principles of safeguarding and protection in health and social care
- Introduction to duty of care in health, social care or children’s and young peoples settings
- Understand the role of the social care worker
- Understand the person-centred approaches in adult social care settings
- Understand health and safety in health and social care settings
- Understand how to handle information in social care settings
How will I be assessed?
Your tutor will assess you on set written and practical tasks and with the support of your tutor you will prepare a portfolio of evidence. This will include the work you have completed throughout the course and will demonstrate your knowledge and understanding of the subject. Your portfolio must be submitted at the end of the course in order to gain the qualification.
Attendance for this course is part-time at 2-hours a week for 24-weeks. You are also expected to complete any work that your tutor sets and will need to allow a further 3-4 hours a week. It is essential that you aim to achieve 100% attendance.
A level 1 qualification in health and social care is required and you must have an interest in working with people and be empathetic and understanding of peoples needs.
On achieving this qualification you may be given the opportunity to progress to a Level 3 Certificate in Health and Social Care. Alternatively you could apply for an Advanced Apprenticeship.
For further information and guidance please contact us on 01287 280250.