Prior Pursglove became independent in 1993, along with all colleges in the further education sector. Each college has its own controlling body – the Corporation or Governing Body – which has ultimate responsibility for the success of the college.
The Corporation is specifically responsible for:
- The determination and periodic review of the educational character and mission of the institution and for oversight of its activities;
- Approving the quality strategy of the institution;
- The effective and efficient use of resources, the solvency of the institution and the Corporation and for safeguarding their assets;
- Approving annual estimates of income and expenditure;
- The appointment, grading, suspension, dismissal and determination of the pay and conditions of service of the holders of senior posts and the Clerk to the Corporation;
- Setting a framework for the pay and conditions of service of all other staff.
Expectations of Governors
In general Governors are expected to have:
- Commitment to education and training and to the success of the College’s students;
- A willingness to contribute to the life and well-being of the College;
- Commitment to strengthening links of the College with its local community;
- Dedication to acting openly, honestly and with integrity.
- To attend monthly Corporation Meetings which are normally in the evenings;
- To join a committee which again, normally meet on a termly basis;
- To attend the Annual Strategic Planning Conference normally held in April or May;
- Where possible to link with a particular area of the College and attend College events, such as plays and music evenings, so as to gain an understanding and appreciation of the work of the College and to meet staff and students;
- To undertake an induction; as well as taking part in on-going training.
If you would like to find out more about the College and the work of the Corporation please contact the Clerk to the Corporation on (01287) 280800.
Interested in becoming a College Governor?
Appointment of Corporation Members
Views of Staff and Students
Instrument of Government
Corporation and Committee Standing Orders
Complaint Procedure 2015
Merged College Annual Reports and Financial Statements
Annual Reports and Financial Statements
Minutes of College Committees are available to view on the links below:
Search and Governance Committee