College receives ‘Good’ news from Ofsted
Prior Pursglove and Stockton Sixth Form College has been judged to be a ‘Good’ college in its recent Ofsted inspection.
The college secured a Grade 2 ‘Good’ rating across all areas; overall effectiveness, outcomes for learners, teaching, learning and assessment, leadership and management, adult learning and special education needs provision.
After a historic merger in 2016, the first of its kind for over 16 years, this is the first full inspection for the previously ‘good’ colleges as a merged college.
In the published report, available online, Ofsted noted:
- The college has very successfully created a culture of mutual respect and tolerance
- The behaviour of students is excellent in classes and public areas of the college
- Students benefit from a wide range of enrichment activities that help them to develop a good understanding about other cultures, religions and a range of other diversity-related themes
- Students receive good, impartial careers advice and guidance. This enables students to make well-informed choices about course and qualification options and to plan their next steps.
- Students progress to meaningful destinations when they complete their programmes, including university, higher-level apprenticeships and work
- Teachers nurture students’ enthusiasm and build on their prior knowledge by using a variety of interesting activities in lessons. As a result, students are keen to learn and talk enthusiastically and knowledgeably about the topics that they are studying
Joanna Bailey, Principal at Prior Pursglove and Stockton Sixth Form College, said: “We are exceptionally proud of Ofsted’s findings and thrilled that the inspectors recognised the journey we have made since the colleges merged in 2016.
“Both staff and students have worked phenomenally hard since our last inspection relentlessly driving forward improvements, becoming increasingly rigorous in our approach and continuing to secure excellent results and positive outcomes for all of our students.”
“The Ofsted team recognised our ambitious vision for the college and community we serve, and this is something we will take forward as we continue our journey to become Outstanding.”
Asma Shaffi, Deputy Principal at Prior Pursglove and Stockton Sixth Form College, said: “We are absolutely delighted to achieve a Grade 2 ‘Good’ Ofsted rating and exceptionally pleased with inspectors’ findings.
“Ofsted’s framework is designed to be extremely rigorous, and quite rightly focusses on schools and colleges providing the highest standards in teaching and learning.
“We were particularly pleased that Ofsted noted the first-class support we offer, giving students a breadth of opportunities, which enable them to maximise their learning and subsequently progress to meaningful destinations.”
The inspection follows students celebrating excellent results again this summer with a pass rate of 99%, 77 A* Grades and 100% pass rate in 43 A Level subjects.
We would like to invite all Year 11 students to see why we are so ‘Good’ and join us for our Preview Days at Prior Pursglove College on Monday 1st July and at Stockton Sixth Form College on Monday 24th & Tuesday 25th June.
The full report can be found here.