“Excellence is never an accident. It is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, and intelligent execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives – choice, not chance, determines your destiny.” (Aristotle c384 BCE – 322 BCE)
With this in mind Prior Pursglove College can help you achieve your aims. Our students have a long history of winning places at prestigious universities on highly competitive courses. Application to the top universities is about more than excellent grades. Students must make informed decisions about the subjects they wish to study, understand the competitive selection process, submit a highly polished application and produce an outstanding interview. No easy task but with our help students at Prior Pursglove College have extremely high success rates in obtaining offers from a wide range of universities covering a multitude of degree courses.
Throughout your first year Prior students benefit from the following;
- The chance to obtain an additional qualification through the Extended Project Qualification (EPQ).
- Assistance in gaining relevant work experience placements.
- The opportunity to take part in activities that will enhance your application such as The Maths Challenge, The Royal Society of Chemistry Olympiad, The Biology Olympiad, MediLink, STEM events and other enrichment activities.
Visits & Summer Schools
- Have the opportunity to attend visits to top universities, e.g. Oxford, Cambridge, Durham and other Russell group universities.
- Attend presentations delivered by guest speakers including, annual talks delivered by the Royal Society of Chemistry, Cardiff Medical School and Oxbridge Admissions tutors
- Learn about suitable summer schools, including the Oxford UNIQ Summer School, Sutton Trust Summer Schools and similarly run schools at Cambridge and other Russell Group universities.
Dedicated Careers Advice & Guidance
Being a member of our Additional tutor group where tutors have specialist experience in supporting applications to the more prestigious universities
- Receiving advice and guidance covering the often complex application process to the top universities and to competitive courses such as Medicine, Dentistry, Law and Veterinary Science
- Receiving in depth, specialist interview preparation and mock interviews
- Additional support sessions to help you prepare for admission tests for competitive courses such as The BioMedical Admissions Test (BMAT) and The Law National Aptitude Test (LNAT).
This year’s successes include:
- 95% of all subjects had 100% pass rate
- 8% pass rate
- 55% students achieved A*, A or B
- 65% of students in vocational subjects achieved high grades (D*and D)
- 37% of Students secured places at Oxbridge and Russell Group university, well above the national average of 19%
“The greatest danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it.” (Michelangelo 1475 – 1564)